The “dirtiest man in the world,” who was from Iran, died recently at the age of 94.
The Guardian said that Amou Haji had not taken a bath in more than 60 years before he died in Dejgah.
People in the area said that he didn’t bathe because he had “emotional setbacks in his youth,” as per sources.
The BBC said that Haji was worried that using soap and water would make him sick.
He finally gave in, and The Telegraph quotes Iran’s IRNA news agency as saying, “For the first time a few months ago, villagers had taken him to a bathroom to wash” “Not long after, he fell ill and finally, on Sunday… he gave up his life.”
No one from Haji’s family is known to have survived, but he was loved in the village. Some people even built him a cinderblock hut to sleep in.
His popularity grew after a video of him smoking a bunch of cigarettes at once went viral. The Telegraph also said that he would smoke animal waste with a metal pipe.
A publication said that he ate rotten porcupine roadkill and drank five liters of water every day from a dirty bucket.
He was checked out by doctors from Tehran earlier this year, and they said he was healthy.
Photos of Haji showed that he had a long gray beard and was covered in soot. In one picture, he is sitting barefoot on the ground next to rocks and trees.
As he looked away from the camera and held a rusty cup in his hands, it looked like his nails were black.