The suspect’s father could face charges.
The permit that helped his son purchase the firearms he allegedly used to carry out the shooting was assisted by his father.
Police said the suspect took his rifle to the Independence Day parade in Highland Park.
At around 10:15 am local time, he climbed up a fire escape ladder onto the roof of the store and started shooting, killing at least seven and injuring 39, reports CNN.
The father of the suspect told ABC News that he filled out a consent form for his son in order to get a FOID card.
Robert was only able to get the card with parental consent because he was 19 years old.
The police were called to the scene of Robert’s threat to kill everyone in their family home in December of last year after he was classified as a ‘clear and present danger’.
Illinois officials said Bob could face legal consequences for filling out the form.
Eric Rinehart, Lake County state’s attorney, told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer that they are looking into other charges related to responding to the community.
Stephen Blandin, an attorney who has represented the families of numerous mass shooting victims, told CBS News that there is a case to be made against the father.
“If the state doesn’t press charges, then they’re admitting that the whole statute is a sham,” he said.
Illinois State Police Director Brendan Kelly was reluctant to say whether or not Bob would be charged, telling reporters that there was an ongoing criminal prosecution and criminal investigation.
“Issues of culpability, liability, who may have a responsibility in certain circumstances, are all part and parcel of that process,” he explained.
— Andy Ngô 🏳️🌈 (@MrAndyNgo) July 4, 2022
“Making a conclusion statement, the Illinois State Police, weighing in on that, is not appropriate. That determination and the answer to that question is something that will have to be decided in the court.”
Robert Crimo was denied bond and now faces seven counts of first-degree murder.
If he is convicted he could be sentenced to life in prison.