The world captured in the first photographs was very different than it is today. We can feel disconnected from it and imagine we are looking into the past.
The subreddit r/OldSchoolCreepy is one such place to look into it. People can share their vintage photography on anything to anything where something doesn’t feel quite right. Maybe it’s the black and white pictures that make us uneasy. There are a lot of strange contraptions and gruesome horror imagery.
1. Martin Luther King Jr pulling up a burned cross from the front of his Atlanta home, April 1960.
2. Children After Working in a Mine.
3. Pictures like this may give you an idea of how the American Buffalo could go from 30,000,000 to 300,000,000 in 50 years.
4. Wax mannequins melting in a store during a heatwave in 1929.
5. Crucifix washing in 1938.
6. My Aunt casually tells me that she once found a lot of skeletons in her garden.
7. This bear drinks.
8. A letter from a Schizophrenic patient. The only phrase is “Herzensschatzi Komm” and it is repeated over and over.
9. Anti-Electricity Propaganda from 1900.
10. There’s something weird about this image.
11. Tim Curry at the set of the movie It (1990).
12. A diving suit from the 18th century.
13. Wax figures that were saved from the 1925 fire at the London Museum.
14. Women’s skin was protected from the sun in the 1920s with a full-faced swimming mask.
15. A picture of two women having long hair.
16. The Halloween costumes in the 1930s.
17. Linda Blair’s makeup for the movie The Exorcist (1973).
18. A drunken man in top hat and tail clings to a lamppost, London, 1934 Photo By Bill Brandt.
19. Plague doctor’s mask from the 16th century.
20. Paper Mache from the First World War era.
21. Human teeth that were used by a dentist in the early 1900s.
22. The advertisement for Van Camp’s Pork & Beans in 1952.
23. The 1939 version of Humpty Dumpty.
24. Doll factory in the vintage era.
25. A mask in the 17th century that was used on people to restrain them from being insane.
26. How clowns used to be in the early 1900s.
27. Mickey Mouse club meeting in the 1930s.
28. A picture showing a Victorian baby on its mother’s lap.
29. The real Ronald McDonald.
30. The famous Hells Cafe in Paris.
31. A woman is wearing a mask to protect her skin from the sun.
32. The moon in the French movie A Trip to the Moon.
33. The vintage Goldilocks and the Three Bears.
34. My grandpa and his sister.