While redheads have become synonymous with Ireland and Scotland, American photographer Brian Dowling photographed over 130 redheads from 20 different countries for his project “Redhead Beauty”.
Red hair is the rarest hair color in the world and is caused by a genetic condition called MC1R which affects 1% of the world population. A person’s tolerance to pain, sunlight, and their hairs’ ability to gray can be affected. When you get older, your red hair will turn blonde or white.
Brian started this portrait project to show the real beauty of red hair and to help break down stereotypes people often have of redheads with his photographs. He has an art book called Redhead Beauty.
1. An Early Morning With Alina From Kyiv, Ukraine.
2. Madeline From Washington State, USA.
3. Kirstie In The Scottish Highlands Of Glencoe.
4. Carmen From Best, Netherlands.
5. Krissy From Stuttgart, Germany.
6. Alisha From Odesa, Ukraine In The Black Sea.
7. Ellie From London, England.
8. Elias In Belfast, Northern Ireland.
9. Maria From Moscow, Russia.
10. Gracie From Howth, Ireland.
11. Alina From Odesa, Ukraine.
12. Aoife From Longford, Ireland.
13. Ruby From Essex, England.
14. Elainna From Modesto, California.
15. Model Nastya Pindeeva Overlooking The Black Sea In Ukraine.
16. Tara In Liverpool, England.
17. Beata Overlooking Downtown Warsaw.
18. Kim From Hamburg, Germany.
19. Masha Under The Trees In St Petersburg, Russia.
20. A Model In A Snowy Park In Munich, Germany.
21. Shannon From Sydney, Australia.
22. Natasha’s Freckles From London, UK.
23. Sophee From California, USA.
24. Sophie From Stirling, England.
25. Daria From St. Petersberg, Russia.
26. Kirstie Overlooking The Scottish Highlands Of Glencoe.
27. Italian Redhead Benedette Watching The Sunset In Sydney.
28. Vanessa From South Africa And Bridget From San Fransico, USA.
29. Judith From Breda, Netherlands.