The death of Jamal Khashoggi has been admitted by Saudi Arabia for the first time
Quoting an initial inquiry the country’s state TV reported that the death of the Journalist Jamal Khashoggi was due to a fight in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.
It also reported that, the Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman’s senior aide Saud al-Qahtani and Ahmad al-Assiri the Deputy Intelligence chief were sacked over the affair.
On speaking about the affair the United States President Donald Trump first made sure of the partnership with Saudi by saying “Saudi Arabia is a great ally” and later condemned the act by saying “what has happened is unacceptable.”
Since the disappearance of the Journalist this is the first time the nation has acknowledged that Mr. Khashoggi is dead.
Earlier, Saudi Arabia had denied any involvement in the disappearance of the well known Saudi critic in the Istanbul consulate where he entered to seek paperwork for his forthcoming marriage on 2nd of October. After a solid two week of denials the nation has acknowledged the death of the Journalist.
So far how things have moved in the Jamal Khashoggi’s story
After the Turkish officials stated that the Journalist had been hacked to death inside the consulate deliberately, pressure mounted on the Saudi kingdom and that have made them to come up with the explanation of Mr. Khashoggi’s disappearance.
The consul’s residence and Saudi consulate, have already been searched by the Turkish forensic investigators
After a wide search from the consulate grounds to the nearby forest On Friday, unnamed Turkish police officials said that they suppose that Mr. Khashoggi’s body might have been disposed.
After hearing the report, the Foreign Office UK said it was considering its next steps.
An analysis from Frank Gardner Security Correspondent of BBC
With belated admission of Mr. Khashoggi’s death in the consulate along with handful of arrests and sacking of top officials the Saudi leadership will be hoping to draw off a line to this affair. But it is not going to be that easy. No way, they are getting off with ease in this affair.
Without firm international pressure, we could not have taken the first step to publicizing what had happened in the consulate, given the days of resentful denials by the Saudi leadership.
Saudi Arabia’s version of events
A statement made by the Saudi Arabia’s public prosecutor states that Mr. Khashoggi who has fallen out of favor with the government pulled out a fight with people who met him in the consulate which resulted in the journalist’s death.
Eighteen Saudi nationals have been arrested regarding the affair and further Investigations are charged up, it said. To support this version of events the officials have not yet submitted any proof.
Reaction from Saudi’s Western allies
The United States President Donald Trump said the official explanation was credible enough and he showered praises on the Saudi government’s reaction to the affair stating that they acted very quickly and the arrests followed was an important first step, he concluded.
Including Senator Lindsey Graham and a number of US lawmakers, stated that they were very skeptical with the report that was provided about the journalist’s death.
Earlier this week the Turkish media stated that a number of fifteen suspected Saudi agents who flew in to and out of Istanbul on the day of the journalist’s disappearance have been filtered out by them.
Source 1: www.bbc.co.uk
Source 2: www.cnbc.com