The final season of Game of Thrones is getting closer day by day. It’s just 9 days away and fans can’t seem to keep their calm anymore. So, a lot of people have either started rewatching the series or a few of them are trying to finish the seven seasons before the fateful day arrives.
Hence, today we are going to discuss some important things that you need to recall before the final season of Game of Thrones.
Before we jump into the analysis, we would like to remind you of the beheading of Ned Stark, which broke all hell. After Joffrey Baratheon became the king, everyone is miserable and Sansa Stark is all alone in King’s Landing.
The events in King’s Landing that started Game of Thrones
- The Red Wedding bloodbath left the Game of Thrones fans heartbroken. After that, things become really tense for Tyrion Lannister and Sansa. Sansa is desperate to flee from the place and Littlefinger vows to help. On the other hand, Tyrion tries to protect his girlfriend, Shae by distancing himself and this frustrates her.
- King Joffrey gets married to Queen Margaery. And as you must have remembered, the wedding does not go well. Joffrey receives two Valyrian steel swords as gifts. One he names Widow’s Wail. and the other one eventually goes to Jaime Lannister, who names it as Oathkeeper and gives it to Brienne.
- Joffrey humiliates his uncle Tyrion at the wedding by pouring wine on his head. He starts drinking wine (poisoned) from a cup and chokes to death. He points towards Tyrion while dying and he becomes the primary suspect. In all this commotion, Petyr manages to take Sansa and escape from King’s Landing. Tyrion is arrested but later Cersei finds out that he is innocent.
- Sansa, disguised as Baelish’s relative, leaves with him for the Vale so that the former can marry Lysa Arryn.
And, it turns out that Lysa is a nutjob herself and becomes totally insecure with Sansa and Littlefinger’s closeness. Baelish ultimately reveals to Lysa that the only woman he ever loved was her sister, Catelyn Stark. He pushes her through the Moon Door and she dies.
Later, Sansa reveals her actual identity and gets named as the new Lady of the Vale.
- In King’s Landing, Tommen becomes the king of Westeros and Margaery establishes herself as his queen. She also develops a bond with him quickly. Tyrion is framed for murder when Tywin and Cersei cultivate false evidence against him.
Even Shae testifies that she overheard Tyrion and Sansa plan Joffrey’s murder. Tyrion pleads not guilty and demands a trial by combat. Oberyn Martell, who was invited to King’s Landing for Joffrey’s wedding, steps up as Tyrion’s champion.
- Oberyn duels with the Mountain and the former’s skull is crushed by the latter. But, Oberyn fulfills his personal vendetta against the Mountain and stabs him with a poisoned tipped spear before he dies.
Clegane starts to die and Qyburn assures Cersei that he can resurrect him, but through unconventional means. Varys helps Tyrion flee before his execution.
But, he goes to confront Tywin before he leaves and finds Shae sharing his bed. Enraged, he strangles her to death and also kills his father with a crossbow on the toilet. Eventually, both Tyrion and Varys leave for Essos to join Daenerys’ army.
What was happening in Essos?
- Daenerys Targaryen and the Unsullied march to Meereen and take control of the city. And she starts fulfilling her duties as a queen. Daenerys also starts sleeping with Daario Naharis and Jorah Mormont gets insecure. On the other hand, her translator, Missandei and Grey Worm start developing a romantic interest in each other.
- Things go haywire in Game of Thrones when Jorah’s identity as a spy for Robert Baratheon gets revealed. Daenerys accuses him of betraying his trust and banishes him. On the other hand, Daenerys struggles to be a just queen.
Her dragons start growing and causing problems for the villagers. She chains Rhaegal and Viserion into the dungeons with a heavy heart. But, Drogon manages to fly away.
Jon Snow and Beyond the Wall
- Jon Snow returns to the Night’s Watch but he does not get a warm welcome.
He suggests that they kill the traitors at Craster’s Keep and ensure that Mance Rader and the Wildlings don’t get to Castle Black first. On the other hand, Bran and team head North because of a vision received by Bran from the three-eyed Raven.But, they are kidnapped by the traitors at Craster’s Keep. Jon and the Night’s Watch army attack Craster’s Keep, unaware of Bran’s presence. Bran notices Jon and longs to go to him. But, he realizes that his mission is more crucial than his feelings.
Ultimately, Craster’s Keep is destroyed and burned. Then the battle at Castle Black begins and the wildlings try to go to the south of the Wall to escape the White Walkers. Ygritte gets killed in the battle.
- Game of Thrones takes a turn when Jon Snow goes to Mance Rader’s camp to kill him. Instead, Rader negotiates a peace offering by saying that he wants his people to be safe. But, suddenly Stannis Baratheon shows up with his army from nowhere and attacks the Wildlings.Meanwhile, Bran and his team arrive at their desired destination but are attacked by the White Walkers. Jojen Reed, Bran’s trainer gets killed in this attack.
- But, they get rescued by the Children of the Forest, who are an ancient race which existed even before humans. They lead Bran to the Three-Eyed Raven who teaches him to fly.
What was happening in the rest of Westeros in Game of Thrones?
- Ramsay Snow renames Theon Greyjoy as Reek and continues tormenting him. Yara tries to free Theon but he is so traumatised that he declines to leave his master.Ramsay takes back Moat Cailin from the Greyjoys. His father, Roose Bolton officially recognizes him as his heir and renames him as Ramsay Bolton. But, Roose marries again and it threatens Ramsay’s chances of claiming the throne.
- Meanwhile, the Hound is taking Arya Stark back to her aunt Lysa, so that he can collect his ransom. But, Brienne and her squire, Podrick are tracking them down. (Brienne promised Catelyn Stark to protect her daughters).But, they manage to arrive after Lysa has already been killed and now they are at a dead end. Brienne eventually locates The Hound and a duel begins over who gets to keep Arya. But, Arya hides away from them.
Brienne defeats the Hound and he is on the verge of death. Arya leaves him to die in misery. She robs him of his money and gets on a ship heading towards Braavos.
Hopefully, this was a quick recap for you guys. The eighth season of Game of Thrones airs on 14 April 2019.