Christchurch shooting has shocked not just Newzeland, but also the entire world. According to witnesses, at least two mosques have been subjected to the mass shootings. One gunman also apparently live-streamed the whole thing on Facebook and Youtube and said: “Remember lads, subscribe to Pewdiepie.”
Christchurch shooting: How many people dead?
As of writing this, there is no official confirmation on exactly how many people have died in this tragic mass shooting. However, sources have confirmed that several people been killed in the gun attack and this is the highest death toll in New Zealand’s history due to such an incident. An unverified report from TNWZ says that the death toll is at 9 currently.
Who did Christchurch shooting? Has anybody been arrested yet?
The New Zealand police have confirmed that they have managed to arrest 4 people, one of them is a woman. According to the New Zealand media, at least one of the shooters is of Australian nationality.
Is Christchurch shooting a terrorist attack on New Zealand?
The police haven’t confirmed anything related to the motive of Christchurch shooting. Police commissioner Mike Bush had the following to say:
We’re looking at the circumstances that surround that. It doesn’t get any more serious,
He also confirmed that the police is not assuming the shooting to be an isolated incident and is taking as many precautionary measures as possible.
5/6 Ambulance, Fire and Emergency NZ, and wider https://t.co/OwDOISklCS this stage we will not be discussing the offenders’ possible motivations or the causes of this incident. We have asked all mosques nationally to shut their doors, and advise that people refrain from visiting
— New Zealand Police (@nzpolice) March 15, 2019
Is it safe after Churchgate shooting?
The police put up a precautionary lockdown on all schools in the area. The lockdown has been confirmed to be lifted. It hasn’t been confirmed whether the lockdown on government buildings still stands or not.
Police can now confirm the lock down of schools throughout Christchurch has been lifted. We would like to reassure members of the public that there is a large Police presence in the city and the safety of the community is our priority.
— New Zealand Police (@nzpolice) March 15, 2019
How is Pewdipie related to the Churchgate shooting? Why is subscribed to Pewdipie mentioned?
The gunman apparently live-streamed the shooting on Facebook. He filmed himself using a GoPro camera, loading many weapons while driving to the mosque. In the first few minutes of the nearly 17 minutes stream, the gunman says “Remember lads, subscribe to Pewdiepie,”.
For those who are not aware, Pewdipie is world’s most popular Youtuber. He has often been under fire for spewing racial and anti-Semitic comments on his channel.
A Twitter account that seems to be connected with the gunman has also shared photos of the guns used in the shooting. This account also shared links to a 74-page manifesto where he describes the victims as “invaders”. The manifesto reeks of a white supremacist motivation behind the attack and has several racist references to the “illegal immigrants”.
Video report of Christchurch shooting incident
Prime minister describes the Christchurch massacre
Facebook and Youtube removes Christchurch shooting video
Facebook New Zealand has confirmed through its spokesperson, that the Christchurch shooting videos have been taken offline from their platform.
“New Zealand Police alerted us to a video on Facebook shortly after the livestream commenced and we quickly removed both the shooter’s Facebook and Instagram accounts and the video,”
The Christchurch shooting video which went viral within minutes of going live also made it way to YouTube. The video was removed from there as well but not before thousands of viewers managed to watch it online.
New Zealand police has urged users not to share the Christchurch video online because of its disturbing content.
Further updates about Christchurch shooting
“At least three injured, per the article. I’ll try and keep this post updated.
Mosque is in Christchurch, NZ. It’s the third most populous city in the country.
- Reliable Twitter reports from Christchurch Hospital employee suggest that at least eight people are injured.
- The Prime Minister of NZ has cancelled all her planned events for the afternoon in response to this event
- NZ Police say they got reports of shots fired around 1:40 local time, advise residents to call 111 if they see suspicious activity.
- Reports relating to the number of shots fired are in the range of 20-30. Injury count still a little uncertain.
- Shooter was wearing a “military-style” jacket, around 300 people inside the mosque at the time —RNZ News
- Video going around suggests higher death toll possible.
- Local TV is saying 6 dead. Source
- Reports of a second shooting at a different mosque in Linwood, NZ, a suburb of Christchurch. Second shooting reports are typical and usually false, so take this with a grain of salt.
- Eyewitnesses suggesting the number shot may be in the dozens.
- A Facebook video going around is showing the gunman’s stream of the event. Again, not going to link. The casualty toll is going to rise.
- Shooter’s Twitter can be found online. Posted a series of manifestos. Not going to link or name him. If you want to see it you can find it.
- NZHerald is saying that shootings occurred in mosques, as in the plural. Initial reports of dual shootings may be correct. A third shooting is also reported at Christchurch Hospital.
- Hospital staff are expecting 40-50 injured — Source
- The Guardian is reporting that a bomb was found in a crashed car on Strickland Street in Christchurch, three kilometers from the attack. Source
- Bangladeshi cricket team was either at or near the mosque, they are all reportedly safe.
- Situation remains active according to New Zealand Police. [Twitter] Reports of shots fired within past 10 minutes.
- Picture is circulating of police surrounding a suspect on the ground, it can be seen on the NZ Herald website.
- Same website as above states that dozens are feared dead.
- The report of a shooting at Christchurch Hospital appears to be false.
- The report of a second shooting at a separate mosque in the suburb of Linwood seems to be true, according to local news reports.
- Local media reporting at least 9 dead. The consensus from those who have seen the clips, and local media speculation, that number will almost certainly rise.
- As of 4:10 NZDT, New Zealand Police say they have a suspect in custody, shootings occurred at two mosques in Christchurch. Video
- New Zealand Police are unsure if there are more suspects, only one person was featured in the video going around.
- New Zealand Police tell people not to go to any mosque today until the situation is clear.
- New Zealand Police say they “believe there may be other offenders” — Twitter.
- “This is and will be one of New Zealand’s darkest days” — NZ PM Jacinda Arden
- Twitter sources and a couple of local news reports have a higher death toll than what is currently being reported, going to wait till a more legitimate news source comments on it.
- I’ll also be working on a Reddit Live thread but this will continue to be updated.
- Link to a map that shows the locations of the two mosques.
- Police briefing scheduled to occur at 5:00pm local time, 12:00am EST.
- As of 11:48pm EST and 4:48 NZDT, At least 27 people are dead and dozens more are injured according to the Herald Sun.
- New Zealand Police are aware of the footage and are working to delete it as best as they can. They further urge it not be shared.
- As noted by a couple of individuals, the attack occurred during Jumu’ah, or Friday Prayer. Attendance is higher during this prayer.
- Press conference delayed until 5:30pm local time.
- Christchurch schools remain on lockdown as the police describe the situation as “ongoing”.
- A Malaysian citizen among the injured. [Twitter]
- Photo of police arresting the reported suspect.
- Christchurch Police have four people in custody, three men and one woman.
- IEDs were found on several vehicles, but they have been made safe, says PD Spokesman Mike Bush.
- It’s 1:00am where I live so I’m only going to be updating if something major happens and I happen to be awake. Others should keep updating the live thread. My love goes out to Christchurch, the country of New Zealand, and the greater Muslim community.
- Lockdown of Christchurch schools lifted, perhaps signaling the New Zealand Police are more confident in the safety of the public at this time.
- Video of the police’s arrest of one of the suspects.”
Here’s what people are saying about Christchurch shooting
@Brianthomass64 tweeted “PewDiePie is trending higher than the shooting that happened in Christchurch all because the shooter allegedly yelled “subscribe to PewDiePie” as he shot at people. Why is this more important than the actual lives that were lost? You’re doing exactly what this sick person wanted. ”
If you see people posting the livestream video of the #christchurch attacker. REPORT THEM!
— Malcolm Nance (@MalcolmNance) March 15, 2019
@edgarwright tweets “All my love goes out to Christchurch, New Zealand.”
@clementine_ford writes “The news out of #Christchurch is devastating and indicative of what happens when you allow white supremacy, men’s violence and right wing propaganda to go unchecked. My love to all my friends in Aotearoa right now, and all my Muslim friends everywhere.”
NZ shooter. White supremacist from Australia. Don’t use his name/picture. Don’t post his video. Don’t give the satisfaction. Honor the victims of this terrorist attack. #Christchurch
— David Leavitt (@David_Leavitt) March 15, 2019
@OmarBaddar “A few quotes to remember:
Ben Shapiro: “above 800 million Muslims are radicalized…that’s a majority”
Ayaan Hirsi Ali: “every devout Muslim…must have at least approved of [9/11]”
Brigitte Gabriel: “A practicing Muslim…cannot be a loyal citizen to the US”
So I'm looking through the #Christchurch hashtag Tweets. I see plenty of people using words like “shooter” but I don't see anyone using the word “terrorist”.
All of the usual suspect far-right hate preachers seem to have gone quiet too.
I wonder why. pic.twitter.com/ijufvjy8La
— Chaos with Keira #EyesOnIdlib (@keira_churchill) March 15, 2019
“I’m angry and I’m sad, i still can’t believe this happened in my city. #Christchurch ”
“This is what the Pewdiepie fan base is actually about, positivity and support and not what the monster did in Christchurch. We support and love older hard working and passionate Youtubers. We donate to charity. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.” writes @randomalienboy.
“So #PewDiePie is being blamed for the #Christchurch attack, where the attacker shouted, “Subscribe to PewDiePie before opening fire on innocent people.
A lone psychopath’s words should not be taken at face value, this guy had pages of a manifesto.
He was Evil, plain and simple.”
Please don’t resort to treating this in terms of “thoughts and prayers”.
This *is* political, and requires some political response, but one that rationally assesses the problem, and responds accordingly. https://t.co/iyFsrOuzqv
— George Rennie (@gc_rennie) March 15, 2019