Most cities have their own sculptures or statues tucked along streets or city squares. Some of them are ordinary. Other famous sculptures can be eye-catching.
The oldest known statuette, named Venus of Hohle Fels, dates back to around 33,000 to 38,000 BC. If this form of art was used to depict the world at first, then it became a way to worship gods. Later, it turned to the classical art era, to commemorate famous people. Modern sculptures might represent an idea and not an object or a living being at all, take odd shapes and be made from any material imaginable.
1. Paige Bradley’s Expansion in NY, USA.
2. Robin Wight’s dancing fairy sculpture.
3. Colossus in Florence, Italy.
4. Alexander Milvo’s sculpture of inner children within adults.
5. Lorenzo Quinn’s The Force of Nature.
6. Robert Glen’s Mustangs in Las Colinas, TX, USA.
7. Black Ghost in Klaipeda, Lithuania.
8. The Caring Hand. In Glarus, Switzerland.
9. Zenos Frudakis’s Break Through From Your Mold. In Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.
10. Mihai Eminescu. In Onesti, Romania.
11. Jean-Michel Folon’s The Rain Man, in Italy.
12. David Mccracken’s Diminish and Ascend. In Bondi, Australia.
13. Ervin Loránth Hervé’s Popped Up, in Budapest, Hungary.
14. Jason Decaires Taylor’s Viccisitudes. In Grenada, West Indies.
15. Nazar Bilyk’s Raindrop. In Ukraine.
16. Shadow Street Art. In Kaunas, Lithuania.
17. A sculpture of a sinking building outside the State Library, in Melbourne, Australia.
18. A God of War statue weighing about 1,320 tons. In China.
19. Hippo sculptures in Taipei, Taiwan.
20. Can Togay & Gyula Pauer’s The Shoes On The Danube Bank. In Budapest, Hungary.
21. Les Voyageurs in Marseilles, France.
22. The monument of an anonymous passerby. In Wroclaw, Poland.
23. Ocean Atlas. A massive underwater female statue carrying the ocean on her shoulders.
24. De Vaartkapoen. In Brussels, Belgium.
25. Artistic sculpture of Nelson Mandela. In South Africa.
26. Chong Fah Cheong’s People of the River. In Singapore.
27. Kelpies in Grangemouth, U.K.
28. The Knotted Gun in Turtle Bay, NY, USA.
29. Jaume Plensa sculptures in the Yorkshire Sculpture Park.
30. A Salom sculpture in Portland, OR, USA.